Wednesday 4 May 2011

Sesame roasted asparagus rafts



Hello everyone after a short break! Today I am going straight to the point, rather than write about my trip to Poland, as I am planning two more posts in the near future Poland related.

Asparagus season started over a week ago and there is a huge delay on my blog! Every year I cannot wait fresh local asparagus and I always have asparagus with sea salt and parmesan first. This year I decided to try something else; mainly because I loved the idea of rafts.

I found it in “Good Food”, May 2011 issue, however I misplaced this magazine and I was not sure if I followed the original recipe. After I have made this dinner I realised there could be a recipe on-line. *


It is very tasty on its own, but I also had it with my quickie sort of satay chicken and it went down together very nicely.





Serves 2

10 asparagus stalks, wooden bits removed **
2 tbsp sesame oil (I used roasted one)
2 tsp sesame seeds
some coarse sea salt (or flaky)
freshly ground black pepper

4 bamboo skewers

Heat the oven to 200C.


Place 10 asparagus stalks next to one another. Skewer them crosswise in two places - just below the tips and 3cm from the bottom - with slender bamboo skewers. You will end up with something that looks like a raft.

Place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with little sesame oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for about 15 minutes turning half way. Sprinkle with sesame seeds 3 minutes before you finish roasting the rafts.





* And there it was. As you can see I did not use any garlic and soy sauce, but I will do it next time. And I roasted rather than grilled this lovely veg.

** With one hand, hold an asparagus stalk at its base. Bend the stalk over with your other hand - the asparagus will break where the woody part ends and the tender part begins. Freeze the woody bits – you can use it for making a stock – beautiful base for asparagus soup or risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!