Wednesday 18 May 2011

Asparagus, peas & broad beans soup



Last Friday I saw some fresh broad beans and peas on the market when I was buying few bundles of asparagus. Peas and broad beans in May? I do not trust them so early – I thought and I gave up the idea of buying them. Also because I realised that I have my all the times must – have in my freezer – frozen peas.

When I came back home I realised I also had some leftovers of frozen broad beans. So I made this lovely, light green soup joining spring with summer.




Serves 4-6

6-8 green asparagus spears, wooden bits removed, cut into 3 pieces
cup of frozen peas
1 shallot
tbsp olive oil
about 1.2l chicken stock (or vegetable stock, I had to cook chicken so I though at the same time I made light chicken stock using typical stock veg as well as wooden asparagus bottoms)
few small mint and basil leaves (optional)
few drops of lemon juice (optional)
salt
freshly ground black pepper
about 200g short pasta (I used mini farfalle), cooked al dente 


Boil the broad beans al dente, drain and remove the skins. If you like the skins you can skip this part.

In a pan fry the shallot in the olive oil until softened, but not browned.

Add the stock to the pan, bring to boil and add the peas. Boil for about 3 minutes, next add asparagus and boil for further 3 minutes. Next add the broad beans and boil for minute or so.

Season with salt and pepper, add lemon juice and serve with pasta. Garnish with some fresh mint and basil leaves.

This soup looks and tastes better when served immediately. When reheated it is not so tasty and veg are overcooked and do not keep their colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!